Successful LGBTQ Technology Entrepreneurs
The biggest growth business in the developed world today is the technology industry. A good representation of the LGBTQ community in this industry is important and reflects the community's capability to participate on an equal basis with all others without discrimination.
Several LGBTQ organizations have been created to help ensure the community's participation: StartOut helps entrepreneurs to start their own business while also working to end discrimination in the technology industry through established member chapters around the world; Lesbians Who Tech is a group specifically for the Lesbian community, also through a chapter organization; and Out in Tech is a social networking agency encouraging internships and training in the sector.
Many established technology firms have in-house LGBTQ networking groups. As well, there are conferences and symposiums on a regular basis which cater specifically to the LGBTQ entrepreneurial community.
The largest of today's technology companies were started with the active participation of LGBTQ individuals. Ric Weiland was a co-founder of Microsoft, while Chris Hughes was a co-founder of Facebook. Many smaller firms started by LGBTQ communities have also been successful.
We have identified the following individuals who are successful technology entrepreneurs. To read their fascinating biographies, simply click on their names.
- Jeffrey Kofman - Founder, Trint
- Nick Denton - Founder, Gawker
- Vicky Reeves - Founder & Deputy Managing Director, ChamelionNet
- Kate Stone - Novalia
- Sophie Wilson - IC Design
- David Blumberg - Blumberg Capital
- Jon 'Maddog' Hall - Linux
- Chris Hughes - Co-founder, Facebook
- Jason Goldberg - Founder, Fab
- Jordan Goldman - Founder & CEO, Unigo
- Hernan Lopez - Wondery
- Andrea Minkow - Co-founder, Minkerman
- Keith Rabois - PayPal, LinkedIn, Yelp, and Zoom
- Jeff Ragovin - Buddy Media and Ragovin Ventures
- Darrell Silver - Thinkful, Perpetually
- Joel Simkhai - Founder & CEO, Grindr
- Darren Spedale - Founder, StartOut and FamilyByDesign
- Kara Swisher - Co-founder, Re/code
- Peter Thiel - PayPal
- Lorenzo Thione - Founder, Powerset
- Ric Weiland - Co-founder, Microsoft
- Chris Wood - Co-founder, LGBT Tech
- Stan Zanarotti - Co-founder, Dimensional Insight