Special Envoy and Advisor Appointments from the LGBTQ Community
Special Envoy and Advisor appointments by governments are diplomatic posts which rank below Ambassadors but above charges d'affaires in the global political world. The positions are held by individuals with expertise in a particular area with the purpose of providing advice and guidance to government leaders. The creation and appointment of the post signifies the government's particular attention and sensitivity to the specific topic. The envoy or advisor represents the government and its position on the topic.
LGBTQ individuals have been appointed as Envoys, Special representatives, and Ambassadors because of their special qualifications on a particular issue.
There have been six such positions to specifically represent the LGBTQ community. Canadian parliamentarian Randy Boissonnault, Great Britain's Nick Herbert, Italy's Fabrizio Petri, Jessica Stern of the United States, and Argentina's Alba Rueda have all held positions as special advisors to their country's leaders and government on LGBTQ issues. In addition, Costa Rica's Victor Madrigal-Borloz has held the position for discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity at the United Nations since 2017.
Other prominent areas of expertise held by LGBTQ individuals include the environment and climate change, Northern Ireland, Eastern Europe, health issues, youth, and HIV/AIDS issues.
We have identified the following Special Envoys and Advisors who have come from the LGBTQ community.
- Alba Rueda, Special Advisor on Diversity Policy
- Michael Kirby, Special Representative, Human Rights in Cambodia
- Andre Boisclair, Special Advisor to Quebec Environment Minister on climate change
- Randy Boissonnault, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ issues
- Victor Madrigal-Borloz, Independent Expert on Protection Against Violence and Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity at the United Nations
- Clement Beaune, Special Adviser within the Diplomatic Unit of the Presidency of the Republic
- Laurent Stefanini, Envoy for the Environment
- Greg Barker, Envoy on Climate Change
- Seb Dance, Special Sdviser to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
- Nick Herbert, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ Issues
- Daniel Kawczynski, Special Advisor to Prime Minister on Central and Eastern Europe
- Fabrizio Petri, Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTQ
- Vitit Muntabhorn, Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography, Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
- Randy Berry, Special Envoy on Global LGBTQ Rights
- Ellen DeGeneres, Global AIDS Awareness Envoy
- Ronan Farrow, Special Adviser for Global Youth Issues
- Reggie Greer, Special Envoy to Advance the Rights of LGBTQI+ Persons Abroad
- Dylan Orr, Special Advisor, Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Mira Patel, Special Advisor, Secretary's Policy Planning Staff, US Department of State
- Richard Socarides, Special Advisor to President Bill Clinton on gay and lesbian issues
- Andrew Solomon, Special Advisor on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Mental Health
- Jessica Stern, LGBTQ Envoy to the White House on Human Rights of LGBTI Persons
- LGBTQ Ambassadors
- LGBTQ Individuals at the United Nations
- Government Officials and Experts in Foreign Affairs Who Have Identified as LGBTQ